colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ±'s Reviews > The Black Lung Captain

The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding

1209800
Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, science-fantasy
Read from November 20 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

3 1/2

This is a book which, for me, may have suffered a bit from heightened expectations. I rather enjoyed the first book, despite its flaws, and was told from a few people that the second one was even better, so I sort of expected to be blown away. However, even though the second is also a good book, I didn't really feel that there was a marked improvement from the first, so I ended up feeling a little let down, overall.

As I said, there are some good things that happen in the book. I particularly enjoyed the character growth and the little moments that happens between some of them. Also, the humor continued to please and I chuckled out loud more than a few times.

But I never really got into the story, as a whole. In some ways I felt like Malvery sitting there and thinking to myself "Really? Is this what we're doing? Ok then... "

***

One of the points that I was told improved from the first to the second was the pacing. The first suffered in places because the action was put on hold to fill in some back story.

While I agree that the first book did get a bit ponderous in places, at least those lag times were interesting because it did fill in some background or important character bit.

But while overall I would agree that Wooding integrated story and character moments better on this go 'round, I still felt that parts were draggy - but, this time, those slow parts didn't have the benefit of at least having interesting tidbits thrown in. They were just draggy with nothing really redeeming about them. Well, I suppose there were still some character moments in those bits but I found them less interesting or something.

Again, maybe it's because I just never really got on board with the overarching story, but I felt like it could've been at least 100 pages or so shorter. There were repetitious descriptions (Did you know Trinica has black eyes? No, really, she does. I mean, honestly. They're contacts. They're not her real eye color. 'Cause Frey know she has green eyes. But here they are, all black and spooky. Did you know? Are you sure you knew? I mean, really, really sure?), and stretches where we're kind of sitting around waiting for things to happen... and, just, overall while I did enjoy it I just didn't get that it was much of an improvement on the first book.

***

It was still a good book, though, and I do like where the series is going. All of the characters are a bit more likable this go around, except maybe Pinn, but the ones I'm invested in the most are still Crake and Jez. And Silo a bit, 'cause he's just cool.

And, as I said, there was a lot to like about the book... I just, I dunno, expected something more, I guess.

It's all Ala's fault.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Lung Captain.

11/22/2011 page 142
32.0% "Pretty much enjoying this so far. The humor is good, and I like the little character moments. There's something about it which stops it from being great - but I can't quite put my finger on it."
11/26/2011 page 368
83.0% "Things are coming together and moving along at a good clip now."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It's always my fault.