Isis's Reviews > Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman

Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer

Nov 20, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook, biography, politics
Read from November 20 to December 09, 2011

Krakauer's careful and thoughtful research and analysis skills have impressed me in his previous books, and they impressed me here as well. Despite my complete lack of interest in football and only a vague recollection of the furor around Pat Tillman's death and the subsequent investigations, I enjoyed this a great deal.

Krakauer emphasizes that fratricide is an unavoidable part of war, and I disagree with reviewers who complain that he criticizes the soldiers on the ground. I think it's clear that he feels the fault for Tillman's death lies with the brass who (mis)directed things from afar, not with the men who fired the shots. And his greatest contempt, rightly, is reserved for the politicians who deliberately misled the public and Tillman's family and friends about the circumstances of his death. The Jessica Lynch episode, while at first seeming like a tangent, sets the pattern, and somehow the cover-up when it happened seemed inevitable.

I think the biggest lesson to be taken away from this is that one should always keep a journal, so that one's opinions and desires are set down in writing, just in case anyone tries to spin them differently. And also, the bigger the lie, the bigger the likelihood it will come back to bite you in the butt.

The reading is excellent, even if Brick got "Mogollon" wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Men Win Glory.

11/25/2011 "Not quite half finished. I admire Krakauer's structured story-telling."
11/29/2011
75.0% "Oh, man, his dissection of the Jessica Lynch affair is reminding me of my own process of disillusionment with the whole "war on terror" thing."