Eddie's Reviews > When the Game Was Ours

When the Game Was Ours by Larry Bird

M 50x66
Dec 06, 2011

Read from November 20 to 23, 2011

This was a really good book. It didn't add a lot that the average basketball junkie wouldn't already know, especially if you've read books about Magic and Bird, but of course the insight by the individuals involved is what makes this worthwhile. For someone like me, who growing up had assumed they must hate each other, it was fascinating to hear the mutual respect they had for each other from the 1st time they played together on a College All-Star team.

This reminds me in a way about a documentary that was on recently about McEnroe and Borg, two fierce rivals that at one time the outside observer would have to assume hated each other.

Obviously, this book is primarily for basketball lovers, especially those who watched the classic Lakers-Celtics teams of the 80's, regardless of which side you loved (or hated). For anyone but a true basketball fan, I imagine it would be of only marginal insight, as it doesn't add a tremendous wealth of insight into either man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Game Was Ours.