GymGuy's Reviews > Starfall

Starfall by Chris Quinton

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: m-m-mystery, m-m-scifi
Read in November, 2011

I had to give this book 2 stars, which means it was just OK.

The synopsis indicated that it would be an adventure about an alien, Ash, who came to Earth to find his sister. In reality, the book was about a couple of PIs, an alien and a 'hippie' running around in Vermont getting kidnapped by a couple Vermont street gangs. The main plot thread was put off to the last 25% of the book. Somehow it just didn't gel. Maybe there are street gangs in rural Vermont, but I just couldn't picture it. I would have been more realistic to have set the story in the back hills of Kentucky with feuding families.

I never really fell into the story. It was sweet and innocent, but somehow falling in love with an alien had a certain 'yuk' factor I just couldn't get over. Guess I'm racially prejudiced against carbon-based life forms from other planets. Sorry.

I always go back to some of the old classics. There is the old adage about writing from your own experiences. I know this may be hard in a SciFi, but still, much of the story would have been greatly enhanced if the author had spoken from her own personal feelings. When I compare this...and I know it's pulp fiction...to Hemingway, Cather, Steinbeck, who wrote so beautifully about what they saw, felt, and experienced there is no comparison. It just lacks that vividness that comes from writing from your own senses. If you have read the opening pages of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" you will understand what I am saying--you are dropped into the story with vivid images and sounds and the satin flow of his writing.

There were some grammar errors and a few type-o's. Other than that, the editing was fine.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starfall.