Lena Grey's Reviews > Child of the Theatre

Child of the Theatre by Caleb

Nov 20, 11

Read in November, 2011

'Child of the Theatre' by Caleb takes place in a microcosm of life in London in the late 1800s which is peppered with references to gentlemen's clubs, life in the theatre, costume, architecture, and most of all, attitudes, particularly those of the upper class. It's written in quaint, romantic prose giving it a historic feel and adding theatrical flair. The brief, but meaningful, tryst between Sim and Gervase brims with emotion and passion. From the start, I could feel an affinity between the two men and was able to accept that, without a doubt, they belonged together. The sentiment was devastatingly romantic.

I fell in love with Simkin Tregear from his first cheeky comment: “He never gets that bloody line right. ..!” Sim rolled his eyes in mock horror. “Madam, I am shocked. Never have my virginal ears been sullied with such language.” I also loved him for his intense devotion to Dorothy Jordon, the woman who raised him. Their relationship was extraordinary. Sim is beautiful, charming, loving, discerning, and loyal to a fault. He is worldly in many things, i.e., things of a sexual nature, but, at nineteen, quite naive in others, such as how calculating and vindictive people can be.

Lieutenant Gervase Levison is a typical gentleman of the era; handsome, a bit vain, intelligent, and charming. His openness in regards to his sexuality is particularly surprising for that time period. He is amazingly sensitive and nurturing with Sim in and out of bed. His best trait is described by his grandfather: “He is as constant as the North Star.” and is something Sim counts on.

'The Child of the Theatre' has everything one would expect from a historical, Victorian novel—adventure, betrayal, passion, heart break, forgiveness, and a happy lover's reunion. This is Caleb's first published book and I believe he’s off to a great start. I'm hoping for a sequel as I'd love to see how Sim and Gervase meet the challenges which are certain to manifest in their future. I highly recommend this book, especially when you're in the mood to curl up, relax, and escape into an outrageously romantic world with strong, appealing characters and love stories which always have happy endings.

NOTE: This book was provided by Total-E-Bound for the purpose of a review on Queer Magazine Online
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Child of the Theatre.