Barbara Bryant's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Nov 20, 11

Read in November, 2011

If all I had read was the last quarter of the book I would have given this four stars. I grumbled a little through the earlier chapters which were very interesting but kind of a downer and oddly written,I thought. But bang! The section where this chef/owner decides to fully describe life on the lower tip of Italy with her husband's family during summer vacation tied me to this book until I finished, breathlessly and reluctantly, a little later. I wanted everyone I knew to read it. There is nothing really wrong with the rest of it but I tire sometimes of reading about abandoned children with lousy parents who become young addicts and thieves and struggle through terrible times before finding a life that in a way is no more satisfying than the rest of it was.

Still, her life was interesting, though she gets through it in a very disjointed fashion, and during the middle of the book I can't tell if she is married and/or living with the spouse she had or if he has disappeared. Much of the book is told a little backwards and you learn things too late sometimes to enjoy the trip.

The writing takes off in the end, though, and it seems she finally has hit on the thing she really wants to convey. I would have liked a little more food talk and a little more restaurant-running talk and some more relationship information. I do recommend it, though, and think many people will like it, especially if you like food and cooking at all, even as a bystander.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.