wychwood's Reviews > The Telling

The Telling by Ursula K. Le Guin

Nov 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: feminism, feminist-sff, fiction, queer-elements, sff
Read in November, 2011

Not my favourite Le Guin, nor even close - I tried to re-read this a few months back and couldn't get into it at all. I picked it up again, though, and enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. Nothing especially memorable, but... I do like Okzat-Ozkat, and Sutty's ambivalence around her own history, and the complexity of Dovsan society under the surface.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Telling.

message 1: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Yeah, it just....was no good. Le Guin herself talks about ax-grinding in her work, and it's there even in The Dispossessed, and it made this book just about unreadable for me. I finished it, but not happily. I think a reviewer said it wasn't a bad book because they think Le Guin couldn't write one, and....I don't know. I don't think I've ever reread it once (and I reread Tehanu, which shocked me on first reading, at least three or four times). I thought Four Ways To Forgiveness dealt with political issues much more deftly, and was a much better-written book. I did like the guard who dies, whatever his name is (a clear sign of how I didn't like the book: I don't remember his name and don't care enough to look it up).

wychwood To be fair, his name for most of the book was Monitor! So "the guard" isn't far off.

I did quite enjoy this on the second attempt; the world-building is as gorgeous and evocative as always. I thought FWtF was amazing, though - I was enormously impressed by it. This definitely isn't as good, but it does have good elements; even bad Le Guin has beautiful prose and descriptions, generally.