Becky's Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Nov 29, 2011

bookshelves: alternating-pov-of-doom, awesome-protagonist, favorites, male-protagonist, not-a-love-triangle-in-sight
Recommended for: anybody. Go read it. Now.
Read from November 20 to 23, 2011

Something to get off my chest: I'm a shallow reader. Or, more accurately, book-chooser. I pick the books based on the pretty covers and catchy titles, and where does it get me? More often than not, I get screwed.

However, for once in my life, my tendency to judge a book by its cover (or in this case, title) did not disappoint. This book is an awesome example of what YA lit can be at its best. Our protagonist, Sam, is flawed but endearing, and his voice is spot-on. Not only does it contain a male narrator (a rarity in YA paranormal books), but it's a male narrator written by a woman. And it's done WELL.

Sam is apparently a dormant necromancer, a fact he's unaware of until a strange man enters the fast-food restaurant Sam works at. Suffice it to say the encounter doesn't end well, and he's is forced to re-examine the assumptions he has made not only about his family, but himself.

Gender stereotypes get checked at the door in this one. Sam doesn't wax poetic about the love of his life, and he doesn't wave his cave-man club around, either. Our protagonist is essentially a good guy, but neither us nor Sam actually realize this until partway through the book. This book also does NOT suffer from Missing Parent Syndrome (excluding Sam's father), which was damn near enough to earn a whole star just by itself. Sam's mother is a nuanced and developed character, and I loved her dynamic with Sam.

My ONE complaint about the book is admittedly minor, and it wasn't really enough to dock anything for. (view spoiler)

Anyway, long story short: I loved this book. You will, too. If you haven't read it yet, go do so now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.

Michael Fleegler Thank you for your review. I can't believe I never came across this book before!