Bella's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

May 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from April 13 to May 12, 2012

I've long been a fan of Bourdain's cool, edgy persona, so I was really interested in reading this book. I was impressed with his writing style, word choice, and voice. This man is well educated, and it comes through in his writing, which I appreciate. At the same time, he writes with passion, earthiness, and streetcred, which I appreciate even more.

I loved most of the book, but I had to take one star off for the portion where he basically lists his daily duties and To Dos - it went on too long and was too detailed. Some editing for conciseness would have streamlined that chapter. Speaking of editing, I'm not sure if it's just on my Kindle version or not, but there were quite a few grammatical errors (missing punctuation, typos, etc). For someone who seems to take control of his kitchen as much as Bourdain does, I would think he'd make sure this copy editors did a better job of catching those mistakes. Surely they would've been thrown overboard if they were crewmembers of his kitchen.

Overall, I highly recommend this book, and look forward to reading some of his others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

dateDown_arrow    newest »