Ranulfo C's Reviews > Bad Boy: A Memoir

U 50x66
Nov 20, 2011

liked it
Read from November 20 to December 18, 2011

"Bad Boy" by Walter Dean Myers, was the book i read. What initially made me grab the book and start reading it was just by the title and cover of the book. The title name just sounds intersting for me since i think i know what's a bad boy, but i wondered if the book would have a similar definition.

In the story there are many parts of how Walter, the main character, is supposly a bad boy in school and at home with the family. Walter is not really a bad boy as other people see him, but as the story goes on he realizes that he is a writer and that is his gift from life. He struggles throughout his life and his family is no ecxeption. His family makes it hard for Walter because he has little connection with them. This book is intended for people that like to learn about someones life as a story.

In my opinion i think the part that was succesful was that Walter used words and details for me to imagine what was going on the story. I knew what was going on because i understood the way Walter wrote it. Walter made it sound real and presice such as the things happened. Walter could have used different word choice for the ending, he could have explained it alittle more because i didnt really understand it. Overall the book was interesting and i enjoyed it which is good for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Boy.

11/20/2011 page 47
22.0% "So far the story is interesting.I like how it started saying how he got in trouble for something he was provocked to do and called the class bully.The story so far says a boy telling his history about his ancestors then he talks about the place he called home in which a women takes care of him most of the time and he calls her his mama, he talks about his life that is at school and church.I want to see whos a badboy"
11/27/2011 page 89
42.0% "After reading more i have gotten into the story more. This time it talks about his hostory in classes such as in history class were the teachers know he is a fighter against teachers. Also talks about things that inspire him to write and how he sees things out in the world that make him write. Im enjoying it so far and i hope it gets better and doesnt get boring.Im going to try to relate this story to me or people."
12/04/2011 page 129
60.0% "The story got really intersting since last time. It talks about how Myers has now gone into a better school were only smart boys went n he feels dumb. He is not doing good at school and his life is getting worst and worst. As he is writting more and more he is actually losing his family. It seems like his father and mother don't care about him and his mom starts drinking. Im looking foward to knowing what happens."
12/11/2011 page 164
77.0% "I got more into the story now as i read. I actually find things interesting about Walter, such as the part were he first meets frank and he punched this one guy to save Frank. Walter says that he actually feels good about fighting even though he knew it was bad but there is something about him inside that makes him like to fight. Now as i read i look at parts such as this one and try to connect them to the title."
show 1 hidden update…

Smorgan This review sums up the book perfictly