Alison's Reviews > The Inquisitor’s Apprentice

The Inquisitor’s Apprentice by Chris Moriarty

Nov 21, 11

Read on November 21, 2011

Full review to come soon...in the mean time, thoughts:

Was a bit of a beatup on rich bankers, and certainly parallels can be drawn to modern anti-capitalism protests, but for the most part it provided an interesting read about an alternative late 1800s New York from a young Jewish boys perspective; an alternative reality where magic exists but those corruptly in power want to stamp it out and have it replaced by machinery. Machinery that they'll be selling.

Not being as familiar with new York, American history or Jewish culture as I could be, I read this as an amusing story. I can see that if you had a stronger knowledge or feelings about any of these that this book my inflame the passions somewhat...was Tomas Edison a rampant anti-Jew campaigner? Was the nypd full of corruption (and drunken Irish)? Did Teddy rosovelt get pushed out by corrupt capitalists in power?

It plays on stereotypes to bring the story to life, and it's those stereotypes that I'm familiar with, but they're also written in such a way to enforce the knowledge that they ARE just sterotypes.

Overall I enjoyed a light kids mystery written with a very Sherlock holmes feel, and this should make a great series for the 8-12 group wanting something a little different
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inquisitor’s Apprentice.

11/20/2011 page 42
13.0% "The blurb did put me off picking this one up, but it's so far turning out to be a pleasant reading surprise. Although it would be more enjoyable if I had more knowledge of Jewish or New York customs and lifestyle."