Mark's Reviews > You Shall Know Our Velocity!

You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers

Aug 11, 08

** spoiler alert ** The follow up to Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius falls short because it is much too dark, and the wit of random depressed thoughts by the main character do not feel genuine but contrived. The book talks about two friends who have inherited money and are determined to visit some of the world’s poorest countries like Senegal and Morocco to give it away in person. The reasoning for this trip which is blamed on a recent loss of a friend falls flat and seems too farfetched though the adventures are continually entertaining. The book takes the expected Egger twist in the end when the story's other character Hand steps in with a chapter about how Will basically made everything up including the friend that had died. The prolonged inners thoughts of Will are meant to explain his strange motivations, but leave the reader guessing what is really wrong with the guy. While the book is easy enough to get through it left me feeling like I hadn’t really gained anything from reading it.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Shall Know Our Velocity!.