Shira Anthony's Reviews > Blue Notes

Blue Notes by Shira Anthony

Aug 10, 14

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: mine, music, angst, coming-out, dreamspinner, foreign-locale, m-m-rom, series

"Blue Notes" is the first in the "Blue Notes" series of interrelated, music-themed gay romances. Each book is stand-alone, but the characters all inhabit the same corner of the classical music world. Book Two in the series,The Melody Thief, was released by Dreamspinner Press on August 24, 2012.

"Blue Notes" is loosely based upon my life growing up in France and my career as a classical musician (violinist and opera singer). Jason's background is similar to my own, and I've even given him my home town of Cleveland Heights, Ohio. It's a long way from Ohio to Paris, a journey that for Jason will change his life. And what better place to fall in love, really, than the City of Love (my favorite city in the world)?

Here's a link to the music in "Blue Notes," in case you're interested: http://shiraanthony.com/Book-Extras.php

Novels in the Blue Notes Series are standalone, interrelated stories, and can be read in any order.

Publication Order:

1) Blue Notes
2) The Melody Thief
3) Aria
4) Prelude
5) Symphony in Blue (novella and sequel to the first 4 books)
6) Encore

4) Aria
5) The Melody Thief
6) Symphony in Blue
7) Dissonance

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Notes.

Quotes Shira Liked

Shira Anthony
“Jules sidled over to Jason and, without warning, slipped a single finger under the waistband of Jason’s pants. “I like the clothes,” he said as he looked up at Jason with a challenge in his eyes. Jason calmly extricated Jules’s hand, bringing it up between the two of them.

“You don’t quit, do you?” Jason chuckled, realizing that he’d not only gotten used to the kid’s flirting, but that he was beginning to find it a little bit flattering. His face grew warm with the thought, and he hoped that Jules hadn’t noticed.

“Nah. Quitting’s not my style.”
Shira Anthony, Blue Notes

Shira Anthony
“Jules rested the violin and bow on the case and sat down next to Jason. He hesitated for a moment, watching the older man with uncomfortable intensity, then reached for Jason and brushed a single tear from his cheek. For Jason, the touch was electric, and his physical response unexpected.

“Bach always touches my soul,” Jules half whispered. His fingers still rested against Jason’s cheek. “He must have known great love, and great pain, to write something so powerful.” Jason realized that his own pain must be showing on his face, because Jules, too, looked sad.

"I’ve never been religious,” Jules said, his eyes never leaving Jason’s, “but I played this piece in a tiny church once. It was like God was there with me, speaking through me.”

When Jason remained silent, Jules leaned forward and kissed him lightly on the lips. At a loss to explain the intense emotional and sexual response of his own body and equally unable to stop himself, Jason
reached for Jules and returned the kiss. The younger man’s lips tasted of wine and musk, and Jason realized that he was hungry for more.”
Shira Anthony, Blue Notes