Bryan's Reviews > The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White

The Hustle by Doug Merlino

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: history, american-experience, current-events, american-history, basketball, northwest, sports
Read from November 18 to 19, 2011

Having known one of the subjects since his arrival at Seattle Prep, I was introduced to this book, and motivated to read it by my love for, one of its central characters. While my expectations were not at all low, they were limited by my anticipation of reading about both a dear friend and a place and era I, too, grew up in. While I got both of those things in droves while reading The Hustle, the unexpected enjoyment comes from just how much bigger a story was told here. Mr. Merlino does a masterful job painting a broader picture of both black and white experience over the past years. Not only since the subjects came together in '86, but farther back. As for the contemporary component, I often found myself wanting to object to some of the broad stokes being painted. After all, I came of age in the era and setting, yet the story and lessons were often not my own. But as I had to remind myself, as both white and on a lower tier of Prep's economic scale, I'm not really from either world described in the pages. Like the author, perhaps, I was both fascinated by and on the outside of both of them. The greatness of this book, I think, is that one need not have any of my own connection to its content in order to learn, grow or simply be engrossed by the various stories shared on its pages. Thank you, Doug.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hustle.