Kristilyn's Reviews > Rare Beasts

Rare Beasts by Charles Ogden

Nov 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed, read-in-2011

Charles Ogden’s book, Rare Beasts, tells the story of twins Edgar and Ellen and their search to cure their boredom by doing unspeakable things, like torture and pranks. In the first volume of this series, they steal the neighbourhood pets after seeing a TV show looking for rare creatures that could fetch a large sum.

However, being an animal lover, I just couldn’t grasp how the premise of animal abuse would be a good topic for children. At the age that this story is written for, I would think that children should be taught how to respect animals, not to steal them and dress them up and try to sell them for massive amounts of money.

I also didn’t find the main characters to be likeable at all–at least in some books where the main character is a brat, there is some kind of charm that the reader should like. Instead, I found that I was forcing myself to finish reading the book, despite the fact that I really wasn’t enjoying too much of it. The illustrations aren’t bad, however, and there is some great vocabulary, so I guess it has something going for it.

This book is very much in the vein of Lemony Snickett and I found that I wasn’t too vested in the story. I got that it was a children’s book and that, of course, nothing too gruesome or too horrible would happen, but I almost expected more to happen than what did take place. It’s a nice enough story, but maybe a little too young for me.

I’m sure if you enjoyed Lemony Snickett, or even The Addams Family, you would enjoy this book–probably the whole series. It’s a very short, light read. Just be sure to explain to your children that this really isn’t how pets should be treated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rare Beasts.

08/03/2016 marked as: read