Karen's Reviews > The Ringer

The Ringer by Jenny Shank

F 50x66
Nov 20, 11

This book seemed like it was written for the purpose of being made into a movie. I thought the story had a lot of potential, but the writing was weak and the messages were ultimately superficial - in fact, I'm not even sure what the messages were supposed to be. I thought the author did a decent job of showing two perspectives of the same story, revealing empathy for all of the characters. However, the characterizations were poor, and some of the characters weren't even distinct from one another - I could find no clear differences between Polly and Mia, for example. I was also irritated that some of the main questions related to the plot went unanswered - for example, why Salvador hadn't told Patricia about the woman and her daughter back in Mexico, and why Ed thought he heard a shot and a mirror being broken (did I miss something?)I thought the end was just dumb, and I would much have preferred that the two families had in some way come to terms with each other without a lot of drama. And I wished Patricia could have gotten past some of her bitterness (at least toward Ed's kids), if only for the sake of modeling forgiveness for her kids.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ringer.