Marcela (BookaholicCat)'s Reviews > Heir of Novron

Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan

Feb 12, 12

Read from February 01 to 04, 2012

4 ½ Stars

Heir of Novron is the third omnibus in The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan, this installment contains the fifth and sixth and last books in the series: Wintertide and Percepliquis.

Usually writing a review for a book you love is an easy task, but when the book you are reviewing is the last and final installment of one of your favorite series writing its review can be heartbreaking. This is the case with this one, I want to write so many great things about Heir of Novron, but at the same time I don’t want to give much away. But the most important thing is I want to write a review that makes it justice.

As you can guess by now I loved Heir of Novron, my love for it started since the moment I finished Rise of Empire (second omnibus). I was dying to get my hands on this beauty, so much that I may or may have not offer a kidney on Twitter for an early copy, I didn’t get it, I still have my two kidneys and a now after reading it happy heart.

As I said in my review of Thefts of Swords (First omnibus) this series made me remember why I love the fantasy genre and in a sense it made fall in love with this genre all over again.
Mr. Sullivan took the most unconventional characters, thieves, and turn them in the most beloved heroes.
Royce and Hadrian have become two of my favorite characters of all time, they are completely different from the norm and from each other, in a way that they complement the other perfectly making the most astounding team.
Royce is dark, broody, wary and posses an strong character, while Hadrian is the calm one, unguarded, who always expects and believes in the best of people.
Both characters have come a long way, but in Heir of Novron is where we see clearly the changes they have experienced.

All the secondary character shine, there also have come a long way and have experienced the needed transformations according to the circumstances.
Arista has always been a favorite, but in my opinion Myron stole the show in Heir of Novron. I didn’t love him, I adored him. His parts in the story were my favorite ones, he was a friend, a father, a brother and more when they needed him and always he had a wise word to share without being preachy. I wish I could have a Myron in my life.
As I said before all the secondary character from minor to mayor including the villains were great, I don’t have anything negative to say about them.
The only thing I can say was that the tone in the book was a bit different from previous ones, especially in Percepliquis, the humor is almost not existent, I know the circumstances are different and there wasn’t much to laugh about but still I missed it.
As in previous books Mr. Sullivan is not shy about killing characters we love, making some parts heart wrenching to read. In Wintertide the plot moves at a good pace but the beginning of Percepliquis is a bit slow, after couple of chapters it picks up the pace becoming an impossible-to-put-down book.

Heir of Novron took me in a roller coaster of emotions, where I laughed, cried, and fretted for my beloved Royce and Hadrian.
On of the things that excelled were the fighting scenes; they were perfectly written. They felt so real that I knew they could go wrong at any minute, they had me literally bitting my nails. (Mr. Sullivan my manicure bill will be sent to your office.)

I may have brain stormed a lot about the who, the what and the where of this story, I may have suspected (hope) many of the things that happened but the way Mr. Sullivan tied all the pieces together was masterfully. Everything was explained, not ties were left lose and at the end after much suffering we got our happy ending.

I’m sad to see this series come to an end but at the same time I loved that it ended in such a high tone. I’m not one of those person who re-reads books but I’m sure this series will be in the top of my newly created re-read once a year list.

I can’t recommend you enough this book and this series in general, this books are written in a way that they could be read as a stand alone but the backstory is so bast and great you shouldn't miss it. Please read them in order.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heir of Novron.

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I have got #6 and I am waiting to read it. I think I need a refresher of the past five since its been awhile since I read them. I will be watching for your review.

Marcela (BookaholicCat) Melissa wrote: "I have got #6 and I am waiting to read it. I think I need a refresher of the past five since its been awhile since I read them. I will be watching for your review."

I just posted my review. I loved it and you should read it soon.
Let me know what you think.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Great review.Now I need to have my refresher and get to reading.

Marcela (BookaholicCat) Melissa wrote: "Great review.Now I need to have my refresher and get to reading."

Yes! I can't wait to hear what you think about it. :)

rameau You managed to say great many things more about the book than I did, and still not give away too much.

Marcela (BookaholicCat) rameau wrote: "You managed to say great many things more about the book than I did, and still not give away too much."

Thank you! I wanted to say many more things but I tried really hard not to be too spoilerish. :)