Skip's Reviews > The Fires of Heaven

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

Jun 05, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in June, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Continuing the series I said I would never re-read, which, obviously, I am...
This books is enormous and, realistically, a lot happens. Not as good as the first 2, but on par with the others so far. There isn't a lot of back tracking--yet.
I think I may have figured out what started to happen with Jordan's writing. The first few books are very character driven; you see the story through the eyes of a few characters. The plot is driven by the characters, who are fairly complex and well developed, making them easy to grow attached to. In book 4 and 5, however, the series starts to turn towards a more story driven plot. There are more POVs from different characters and characters important in the first 3 books may not even be included in a book. The story takes precedence over the characters. Being a character driven reader, I have a hard time with plot driven books. However, even plot driven readers have a hard time with Jordan's later books.
Anyway, here's what happens: Rand and the Aiel take Cairhein. Mat turns out to be a genius tactition. Rand and Aviendha have sex. Perrin doesn't seem to exist. Mat tries to leave mutliple times, but can't. Nyneave, Elayne, Thom, and Juilin join a circus. Moghedien sends Birgitte into the real world where she becomes Elayne's warder. Egwene gets even more bossy. Nyneave and Elayne join the other rebel Aes Sedai in Salidar. Nyneave starts to grow up. Moraine dies. Lanfear dies. Lan takes off. Rand nearly overhears the Wise Ones' marriage conspiracy. Rand goes to Caemlyn to kill Rahvin for Elayne after he hears that Morgase is dead. Aviendha, Mat, and Asmodean die, but Rand brings them back to life with balefire. Nyneave puts an a'dam on Moghedien and helps Rand kill Rahvin. Asmodean dies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fires of Heaven.