Alaiel Kreuz's Reviews > Untraceable

Untraceable by S.R. Johannes

Dec 03, 2011

Read from November 27 to 28, 2011

What would you do if someone you love disappears without leaving a mark? What if everybody tells you to move on, to give up hope and understand that he/she is dead? What if you don't give up because you just know he is alive, somewhere?
What would you do then?

Grace chose to fight. Because her dad went missing and she just knew that he would never disappear or get lost in the woods. That place was like a second home for him. But the police in her small town found his things near the river and assumed he just drowned. Then she turned to her mom for support, so they both could look for him... but her mom was broken inside: she barely could talk to Grace, always made up excuses to let her eat alone and took all the shifts she could to be as busy as possible. Sadly for Grace her mom kind of died the same day her dad disappeared.

But Grace is strong and knows a lot of "Survival Skills" her dad taught her (each chapter begins with one) that will come very handy for her during the story. Because she is not going to give up on him, he is out there, waiting to be rescued, waiting to come home and if the police is ready to close the case and believe he is dead she is not. Not in a million years.

And actually, she is not alone. During one of her very usual hikes in the woods to look for clues she ran into a very handsome guy, Mo, who besides being mysterious, charming (English-Australian accent) and caring hides a few secrets that may or may not affect her somehow.

Personal opinion:
The first chapters were a little bit slowly but it had to be like that, you know? The reader needs background to understand what's going on and what's going to happen because once the story begins to develop oh boy, you will need to remember to breath...

Since we see the story from Grace's point of view we can actually feel the sadness, the struggles she is going through and the difficult choices she is forced to take.

But I do have to make a warning: if you are an animal lover (me) and have a very vivid imagination (me again) there are a few scenes that are very descriptive and hard to read specially if you picture everything you read (yes, me again).

Saying that I enjoyed the book a lot... a very whole lot! There's romance, action, fights, jealousy, friendship and lots of things to learn from this book. And if you like to hike then this is going to be an amazing book for you too ;)

Grace is not perfect, she actually mades a few mistakes but those are the things that define her. It's been very refreshing to experience such an incredible story from Grace's POV.

The ending? Amazingly done, trust me, the twists are so... so... unexpected, you know? Like really, really, really unexpected. And it leaves the book at a perfect point to continue the series. S.R.Johannes describes everything with such detail that it makes you see what Grace is doing, what she is analyzing and even smell the forest.
And the cover? I absolutely LOVE the cover, it has everything to do with the plot which I really appreciate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Untraceable.