The Book Junkie's Reviews > Cowgirls Don't Cry

Cowgirls Don't Cry by Lorelei James

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, e-book, erotica, favorites, western-romance
Read in January, 2012

I didn’t really like the prologue in this story. I think it kind of detracted from the rest of the book a little bit. But not really enough to detract from its rating. I’ve noticed a lot of comments about the prologue in reviews I’ve read so I was aware that it was there.

What I really liked about this story is that it’s a pretty emotional story. There’s heartbreak, triumph and a whole mess of other emotions thrown in too. There are BIG changes that happen for both families AND the ranch in this story.

Jessi McKay was married to Luke McKay for a while. Luke turned out to be a world-class asshole who is killed in a car accident but not before fathering a child with another woman. After Luke was killed Jessi leaned pretty heavily on Luke’s brother Brandt for support.

But Brandt has other idea’s….

Brandt has been in love with Jessi for a long time. And his brother’s behavior toward Jessi and their marriage put a terrible strain on Brandt and Luke’s relationship. approximately 10 months or so before the story takes place Brandt confesses to Jessi that he has more than “friendly” feelings towards Jessi. Jessi isn’t ready for a relationship yet and cut’s Brandt off at the pass.

Then Landon, Luke’s illegitimate child with another woman, enters the picture. Brandt begs Jessi to help him with Landon while Landon’s mom is doing time in jail for her second DUI. In the beginning Jessi really doesn’t want to…AT ALL. But in the end she helps Brandt out after he agree’s to her conditions. In the beginning Jessi and Brandt are really nothing more than parenting partners but then Jessi’s feelings for Brandt start to change. That is when Jessi tells Brandt that she wants to add sex to the mix. Thus beginning another round of REALLY INCREDIBLY HOT McKay sex. Side Note: Personal favorite scene…The Pear scene.

When Brandt FINALLY gets what he’s wanted for a VERY long time, Jessi madly in love with him, his father Casper issues an ultimatum which puts Brandt into a fit of rage. It’s a little bit scary to see how far his father can push him over the edge. But this is also where Jessi learns a little bit of a lesson: sometimes when you really want something bad you can’t just sit around waiting for it, you have to go and get it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cowgirls Don't Cry.