Jacob Stubbs's Reviews > Gravity and Grace

Gravity and Grace by Simone Weil

Jan 20, 2015

bookshelves: theology, female-authors, mysticism
Read from November 19 to December 19, 2011

So, first thing to say, this book is extremely difficult to read. I've read Heidegger (I did have a hard time understanding him); he was quite difficult. I need to reread him. That being said, Simone Weil is also quite difficult. I could only read her for twenty to thirty minutes before I had to stop. This kept my focus on understanding her a lot better.

Weil was a gifted philosopher, a social activist, and a mystic. Her writing combines all of these in a complex a deep way. Her thought on Christianity is fascinating, as we should attend (wait) on God. She focused on contradictions and how both sides can better illuminate man's relations to God.

This is emphatically shown in her views on language. She believes that both cataphasis and apophasis are inadequate in describing God. We should contemplating his mystery for who/what (I don't quite know the language to describe this) it is. This follows Dionysian spirituality quite well.

Her focus on suffering is similar to St. John of the Cross and he influenced her greatly.

This is a must read book for all who are looking to challenge themselves and their intellect and grow in knowledge of spirituality (not in the hippy, pseudo-religious, pop sense).
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravity and Grace.