Jen3n's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

This is one of the few times I don't care about the history of the thing. I don't care if Lewis Carroll was either a pedophile or addicted to cocaine or if he was not. I don't care if he wrote these books because he loved Alice or because he looooved Alice. It doesn't matter to me.

This book was one of the handful that helped form my inner world as a child. I read early and prodigiously and read several books over and over until I didn't need my eyes open to do it. It helped form my vocabulary and gave me an anachronistic sense of manners, the residue of which still lingers with me twenty years later.

It's one of the first adventure books for girls of which I know. It's a book that reads as deeply as the reader chooses to go. It's weird and beautiful, which seems to be a theme among my favorite books. It carries dream logic, of which I am more than passing fond, and is something which is very difficult to emulate with any accuracy. I would recommend this book for any child who can sit long enough to go through it, and then I would ask that child to read it again at fifteen and then twenty five and then forty and see how the book always changes, though never for the worse.

Five stars. Fo'rilla.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.