Kimberly Ann's Reviews > The Demon King

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

Nov 19, 11

Read from November 12 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

I read this book during my Sisterlocks installation. I read a lot of fantasy/Scifi and this is one of the better YA ones. I enjoy reading YA because as a whole, YA books don't try to be anything other than what they are...there isn't a deeper meaning just waiting for you to decipher it, as it can be with some adult titles.

Anyhoo..."The Demon King" is a story told on two fronts, from the point of view of street kid Hans Alister and Princess Raisa ana’Marianna. Hans would like to be able to take care of his family and himself while avoiding becoming the criminal that many seem to think he is destined for. Raisa would like to be the kind of ruler that Hanalea, the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world, was but her mother has other plans for her. While Hans runs afoul some young wizards and sets himself on a path he never knew was available, Raisa struggles with the obligations that being the eldest daughter and therefore the next to rule. Their paths will cross as they find themselves on a collision course to save the Seven Realms.

This is Book 1 of 4 in "The Seven Realms" series.

I really enjoyed this book! Though I can kind of tell where it's going with Hans and Raisa, it is still totally engrossing. When an author creates entertaining and believable characters, it encourages you to care about them or at the very least, want to know what happens to them and Ms. Chima has done so with this book. I can't wait to read the other books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon King.