Danielle.'s Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Mar 19, 2012

bookshelves: i-really-liked-it, 2012-favourites, romance, faeries, vampires, wolves-or-shapeshifters, i-really-hate-love-triangles, covers-that-make-you-jizz, i-own-this
Read from March 14 to 19, 2012

So at first, I thought this was another author trying to be like a teenager: Childish writing, making the teen seem like a bad ass, &c. — not to mention the first 20 pages were annoying and horribly written. It reminded me of Marked by P.C. Cast. But I forced myself to continue because just look at this cover! It’s bloody fantastic! Plus, I’ve been wanting to read this for months and I didn’t want to waste my time craving for this… I am so glad I wasn’t disappointed. I usually give it up to page 144 before I put it down, but it picks up after page 21, I promise.

I didn’t like how the author constantly kept writing how Raquel ‘sighed’. Like, Evie would do something and then she’d write, ‘Raquel gave me the Why was it me that ended up with her sigh before answering my question.’ Once could be easily ignored, but almost every other page? It gets annoying. Also, I’ve grown used to how, whenever something bad/shocking happened, Evie would say, ‘Oh, bleep.’ Besides swearing. At first I thought it was dumb, but I’m glad the author made this a clean book with no swear words and such.

The plot and writing was good, and my heart is won over by a certain character that might win yours over, too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

03/16/2012
03/17/2012 "."
03/17/2012 page 58
16.0% "Finally getting better."
03/18/2012 page 238
67.0% "I'm lovin' it." 1 comment
show 3 hidden updates…

Navdha Ooh. I liked this one. It had a new something to it.

message 2: by Danielle. (last edited Mar 15, 2012 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle. Ha, I hope it gets better because it's starting off really weird, as if the author is trolling or something. Lol.

Navdha I usually give any book I fair try. I read about 100 pages before putting it down if it doesn't do that for me. I mean there are a few exception that couldn't even make it till 100 but yeah.

Danielle. I get where you're coming from. I'm on page 58 and, I have to admit, it'a getting very interesting.

Danielle. it's, I mean. Not it'a.

message 6: by Navdha (last edited Mar 17, 2012 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Navdha EDIT: I am so stupid. I wrote an entire thing thinking it was about CoB. Gosh!
This book does start off with things you don't really understand but later when you get introduced to so many mythical creatures it gets interesting and the lingo of the female lead surely is different.

message 7: by Danielle. (last edited Mar 18, 2012 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle. Oh! Hahaha, it's fine! Yeah, it's getting amazing now and I'm almost finished with it. I can't put it down.

Navdha Even the second book is interesting. And the great thing about this series is the lack of love triangle. :D

Danielle. I can't wait for the second book. I'm in love with Paranormalcy! It was such a fun read; I'm glad there isn't a love triangle because I hate having to choose. Lol.

Navdha Exactly. I've just finished off three trilogies, I mean the last books of three trilogies with two having a very screwed up love triangle. And they both didn't end up well. So it's really a relief when you know that there is only one guy meant for the girl.