Juliefrick's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

Jun 05, 08

This is one of my top-ten favorite books of all time. An extremely compelling memoir, well-written, poignant but not maudlin or precious. I've read it twice and feel another reread coming on.

The brutal honesty in this story is startling, and Fuller does not set out to insert political or social critique into her story. This is probably unsettling for readers who come face-to-face with her family's colonialist attitudes and expect to hear her criticize and critique them. However, I prefer that Fuller let the story stand on its own. The book doesn't set out to dissect "Issues," but rather to tell one particular- and it is a particularly heartbreaking, frightening, disturbing, visceral, and funny one- story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Have you read the next book--"Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness"? I'm going to read it next, and I just wondered what you thought about it. Thanks!

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim That was actually her third book. The one after this was Scribbling the Cat. This first book is also one of my all-time favourites, but Scribbling the Cat I found problematic on a number of levels. I'm keen to read Cocktail Hour. By the way, Julie, if you liked this book you may also enjoy Mukiwa, and When a Crocodile Eats the Sun. But the latter is a shattering read. Alongside Fuller's book and My Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan, they are the best books I have come across of a white person's experience of Africa.