Jen3n's Reviews > The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Aug 18, 09

bookshelves: favorites, mystery, history

I very much enjoy reading this book. It's an excellent mystery story to begin with. Who is killing monks and why? Does it have something to do with the library? What about the newly re-converted "heretics" and the Franciscans?

I really like all the history poured into this novel. The characters all seem very real to me and the story itself is very intelligent; I've had several conversations and debates due entirely to this book over theological interpretations and the nature of morality. And also over which order we'd join if we decided to take vows.

You get the point.

The only problem I have with this book, really, is that it made me brush up on my Latin. There's a lot of it. It's sort of like the French in Villette: the author just assumed that the reader would know the language and so just threw it in there all willy-nilly. Luckily for me, I studied both those languages... so with this book, just like when I read Villette, I got about one word out of every three. Enough that I could get the gist of what was being said, but for actual meaning I had to haul out my Latin text book from college.

Recommended. AND one of the few books where I liked the film almost as well as the novel upon which it was based.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Rose.