Anita's Reviews > Running Wild

Running Wild by Sarah McCarty

Jun 05, 2008

bookshelves: erotica, paranormal-romance, anthologies
Read in February, 2010

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It's on the fence between erotica and everyday paranormal romance, so if you like your PNR really hot, but don't think of yourself as an erotica reader, this could be your gateway drug. It goes a little overboard about "soulmates" and dominance/submission, but otherwise, it's a well-developed story divided into 3 romances. The clever thing about the three stories is that they flow seamlessly together. An interesting thing about this writer is that she will just skip over scenes that don't help develop the romance. This was amusing for me because they are sometimes the same scenes that an urban fantasy writer would spend a lot of time on. It's nice to see that Ms. McCarty knows her own priorities (or at least her editor does.)

So the premise is that werewolves live in secret closed communities, except for a few that have blended into the human world. One of those blending werewolves lives in a tiny failing town as the sheriff (Wyatt), only he's the heir to lead a pack, so his cousin Donovan comes to tell me that his dad is about to die and he needs to come home. Only Donovan falls in love with a human during the visit, and she's in danger, so he sends for his brother to help protect her, but the brother then falls for the lady's sister. In the end the third sister falls for Wyatt. This is a big dead because human-were matings are punishable by ostracism from the pack, and Wyatt might lose his life over his views on making the pack move into the current century. The story ends happily, despite all the drama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Wild.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura It's good, isn't it? I was surprised too. I'm not a fan of her "Hell's 8" series or her novels. Too much chattering during sex scenes that makes them last for chapters. *lol* So I didn't have high hopes for this book. I was so happy to be pleasantly surprised! I really think McCarty excels in the novella format, and I love her Weres.

Have you read the second Were anthology of hers? "Wild Instinct." It's good too!

xoxo