Anna's Reviews > In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Jun 11, 12

Read from November 19, 2011 to May 18, 2012

I have always been fascinated by the psychology of Germany during Hitler's years. This book is a perfect complement to an already extensive knowledge of the happenings throughout the years leading up to World War II - It skips over well known events and stories we've all heard about the manner in which Jews were treated and the horrors of the concentration camps. Instead, it tells the story from a political perspective of an American diplomat and his family, arriving just as Hitler ascended to power. It was a perfect, at times frustrating look into the perverse psychological climate that pervaded those who chose to stay behind in Hitler's Germany. I especially enjoyed hearing his daughters viewpoint - as an eligible woman she spent her days dating some of the most boldfaced names in the history of the War - including one 'date' with Hitler, himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Garden of Beasts.