Ruth's Reviews > Once Upon a Winter's Eve

Once Upon a Winter's Eve by Tessa Dare

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: covers-that-are-gorgeous, historical-romance, regency-victorian, series, tasty-little-morsels
Read in November, 2011

This was the first one of the Spindle Cove series that I've read, and although it was an OK read, I'm not sure I could take a full-length HR in this setting. Apparently, there's a whole load of women who've "escaped" to the middle-of-nowhere Cornwall to get away from men, but who then each find love - with a man. I don't know. this sounds slightly weird to me, and not particularly exciting. I've read a few books by Tessa Dare, and some I really, really liked, and others didn't really do much for me, and this kind of fell into the latter.

The story starts out well enough, and the premise is a good one - scary, gorgeous man crashes through doors of a ball and falls prostrate at the feet of a lady. But then it kinda went downhill and a bit silly. I also didn't appreciate that you had to read all the other books to know the great long stream of names and secondary characters throughout. I get that this is a series, but I wanted to have a taste before I'd shell out the cash and buy another book, and this is a novella, you can't just have a great long list of characters since it uses up word count which could be better used for character development or plot development or just setting the atmosphere.

2.5 stars, but only because the hero can say I love you in quite a few languages, and he stays a git (although I'm not sure that this was intentional).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Winter's Eve.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I read the first in the series and wasn't impressed. Twee and cutesy, and also lots of names setting up for the rest of the series. Which I find obnoxious. Just give me a story!

Ruth Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I read the first in the series and wasn't impressed. Twee and cutesy, and also lots of names setting up for the rest of the series. Which I find obnoxious. Just give me a story!"

I completely agree! I understand the commercial motivations for doing the big series thing and I also why authors like it (those series book contracts are probably like gold- dust in publishing today), but I do wish there were more standalones.

Also, the whole women-hiding-from-society thing didn't work for me. Probably reminded me too much of the all-girls school I went too - bitching, hormones and bad acne.

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Ruth wrote: "Probably reminded me too much of the all-girls school I went too - bitching, hormones and bad acne."

Mwahaha! :D The all-girl setup was obnoxious in the first book because it was (to me anyway) lame grrly -girlpower. The heroine had an OTT phobia of doctors from being bled in her childhood and she invents aquatic physical therapy and is like some Earth Goddess to her little liberated spinster chicks. Blech. I felt like I was being pandered to: "Enjoy these empowered women in a bygone century, 21st century female reader!" But the empowerment was silly with ruffles rather than feeling like the characters were acting naturally.

Ruth Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Probably reminded me too much of the all-girls school I went too - bitching, hormones and bad acne."

Hmmm. Doesn't really sound like my piece of cheese, if you get what I mean..

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Stinky cheese.

Ruth Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "Stinky cheese."

And not even expensively stinky cheese either like a nice Royal Stilton or a triple creme Brie.