Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > The Wedding Gift

The Wedding Gift by Kathleen McKenna

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: book-publisher-sent-me-to-review
Read from November 15 to 19, 2011

*This book was sent to me by the publisher for an honest review. And since this is me you know that I won't hold back. Again.... they want honesty not sugarcoating.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
17 year old Leeann Worthier is the perfect girl in town - or so she says.

George Willets is the heir to a booming petroleum business.

When they announce their engagement, George's controlling mother is unimpressed and Leeann absolutely refuses to live with her mother-in-law. So George gives his new wife a house as a wedding gift.

Thirty years before, the same house had hosted a grisly scene: George's uncle and cousins had all been slaughtered, his aunt Robina accused of both murder and suicide.

The house is a gorgeous, well-maintained mansion but has stood empty since the tragedy. It's intimidating, but who is Leeann to turn down a free house? When the ghost of Robina begins to haunt Leeann, she realizes she's made a huge mistake ...

Thoughts from the heart of Dixie

Oh, I do declare!!

This book just about made me want to spit!

Not because of the plot but because of the way it was written.

Lord have mercy! IT was just about as redneck hillbilly as a Tall Boy on Easter Sunday.

Fo shizzle!

I.... do.... not.... LIKE!

Picture AMERICAN HORROR but then spice it up with some Sookie Stackhouse(sounds good, right?) and then add a heaping load of southern fried cheerleader, a dollop of proper mother-in-law, and a dash of the hickiest local from any southern state that the national news can find to give their eye witness account on a natural disaster. And that is this book!

Seriously! I found the way these people talked as an insult to anyone southern. Sure, Dolly Parton is a national treasure and I love her but every small southern town is not the back lot of Steel Magnolias.

It just dove me insane. We do not all shop at Piggly Wiggly! Nor do we call it PIGGLY... it's The Pig

And while Sookie Stackhouse talks a bit like this, I found that cute. The way Leanne Worthier spoke was just down right degrading.

I also found the main character, Leanne, who tells the story to be very VERY vein. I did not like how she was her parents' little princess, how everyone thought she was the prettiest girl in all of Dalton and she LIKED being called that (considered it her title), how she thought her future husband was ugly and how she hoped she was pregnant with a boy because if it was a girl she would be fat and ugly, and how she was wanting another man after she was married and even had a fling but kept calling herself a Christian and said she would stay with her husband because she was married in God's eyes. HYPOCRITE!

What is sad is that I wanted to like this book. I found the synopsis interesting when a murder house is mentioned, a ghost, and a mystery that is based in the South. Well, Oklahoma. Is that the South? I consider that the West but the back of the book says the South. But ahhhs! I just wanted to spit. The South does hold their ghost stories dear to their heart but this one is just (in my opinion) a book full of idioms that haven't been used in a coon's age and cheap shots to make us all look uneducated.

So, kids.... this wasn't my cup of sun tea. No sir re hillBilly Bob. It wasn't even my bowl of homemade ice cream or deep fried Snickers Bar.

Also, I didn't find one single Scare or Boo it that made me look underneath my bed to see if maybe Jeffery was lurking around.

I just couldn't stomach it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Gift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Hah, your review makes me laugh, Greta. Hope your next read is better!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Thanks Wendy! I'm sure my next one will be better ;)

message 3: by Keri (new)

Keri Greta, they did manage to get a good creepy vibe going with the picture. Does that count, ya'll? ;-)

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHA!! You know what? I don't reckon that "ya'll" was rightly used much, now that I have a think about it ;)

But I guess'um that the cover does help a tad :P

Greta is Erikasbuddy I know! I thought it was going to be mondo awesome till I met the characters! Maybe it should have been done in 3rd person so I couldn't hear the redneck thoughts ;)

message 6: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen I think I feel myself getting fatter after your review! LMAO

That sucks that it suck....but thanks for taking a hit for the team;)

message 7: by Tara (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara Adams Thanks, Greta. I wanted to slaughter the narrating character second page in and I could not get past the author saying that West Side Story was supposed to be cast with Hispanics...the characters in West Side Story are actually Puerto Rican. I know the author was trying to make her sound uneducated, but it came off as the author just sounding uneducated and worse...not a fact checker. I have family down south. I am the first to say that there are uneducated people EVERYWHERE...but this portrayal was intolerable.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I soo agree Tara!!! It drove me bonkers and I absolutely can't stand it when Southerners are only portrayed as either Scarlet O'Haras or Forrest Gumps.

Chasity I just got done reading it for a review as well. Oh my goodness the language drove me up the wall too and you are so right Leanne is very vain!

Greta is Erikasbuddy C. wrote: "I just got done reading it for a review as well. Oh my goodness the language drove me up the wall too and you are so right Leanne is very vain!"

Glad to see it wasn't just me ;) I thought maybe I was being too picky :)

Chasity No definitely not, I liked the plot with Robina and Roger's story but Leanne's character just ruined a lot of it for me and the language was a shame.