Kay's Reviews > If Morning Ever Comes

U_50x66
Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from November 19 to 20, 2011

In a recent New Yorker article Martin Amis wrote “When we say that we love a writer’s work, we are always stretching the truth: what we really mean is that we love about half of it.” I don’t agree with that as a general rule but it sums up my feelings about Anne Tyler pretty well. Some of her books I really love (Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, Saint Maybe, Back When We Were Grownups) and they’ve become a permanent part of my mental furniture. Others leave me cold (The Accidental Tourist, An Amateur Marriage) and I pretty much forget about them as soon as I close the book. Happily, this one falls in the first category.

This is Tyler's first book but many of her ongoing themes are already evident here (more so than in A Slipping Down Life, the other NC novel I’ve read). The plot is slight but the characters are engaging, the voices of Shelley and Gram in particular rang true for me. We see them from the outside (like people in real life) so we don’t know these characters intimately but they still come across as real. The six sisters do kind of run together but that seems intentional (and probably true of large families) and “the sisters” definitely have a distinct personality as a whole even if they don’t always as individuals. I like the way that Tyler gives us a slice of these characters lives without revealing all the details of their pasts or concluding too much about their futures. The book left me wanting to know more about their lives both before and after this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Morning Ever Comes.