Miriam Holsinger's Reviews > The Heart of Compassion: The Thirty-seven Verses on the Practice of a Bodhisattva

The Heart of Compassion by Dilgo Khyentse

Dec 31, 2012

it was ok
Read from November 19, 2011 to December 31, 2012

Confession... I did not make it to the end. Sigh... But after over a year of it sitting on my "currently reading" list and picking up realizing I lost my place and really don't know where it was I don't think I am going to finish it. This one was a bit above my head. I hope someday to have the merit and wisdom to appreciate it as the jewel I hear it is - at that time I will start over from the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of Compassion.

Bonnie It doesn't seem fair to only give it 2 stars if you didn't finish. It's too bad you can't take it off without rating it. We need a 'drop' option, then you could drop it with no rating or with one because it was so bad.
I have one that I've been reading for over a year, but I gave the book away. I pick up on it when I'm near it, but I'm going to leave it on my list.

Miriam Holsinger I figure the rating system is subjective so two stars works. That is why I prefer to write a review and not just rely on a numerical system. without words providing context no one can be sure what criteria you are measuring. it would be nice to have a hibernate option though - we should suggest that to goodreads. nonetheless I would still likely list this as I did since I made it through enough of the book to be sure of my opinion and if I tackle it again it will be from the beginning - not from where I left off. and it will be awhile before I try to reread it to... a bit over my head this time around.

Nate if you didnt finish why rate it? it goes into the overall score and for readers like me I am on a budget so any accurate indication would help and would be good for one's karma :) just a thought. I know I am asking the impossible here :)

Miriam Holsinger Nate,
I made it three quarters of the way through - after over a year of trying to finish it I picked it back up and realized I had read enough to know I wasn't going to finish it. I see lots of other people thought it excellent. One person commented that it was a good book if you have a solid foundation of Buddhist thought. That seems reasonable. I think a big reason I didn't finish it is that it was over my head. I will certainly try to pick it up from the beginning another time but know I need to practice, learn, and generate more merit before I will be able to understand and benefit from the teachings.

Hopefully that knowledge can help you decide whether or not to purchase the book.