Danica Page (One Page at a Time)'s Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

An Overview of the Novel:

My Overall Thoughts/Impressions: I have mixed feelings about this one. I love retellings of Persephone and I had heard of really good things about this one. So naturally I went it with high expectations.

To be honest this novel was definitely nothing like I thought it would be. I didn't expect to be so drawn to Jack and I also expected to be drawn more to Cole. To be honest, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for.

Nikki was a character that I had a hard time connecting with. I mean I understand life is hard, but to agree to go down to the Everneath over a boy was something I really had issues over.

However, once I got past that initial premise I found the novel to be really intriguing. I felt like I really got to know Nikki's character. And the writing was solid. Also that ending was just wow. It made me really want to read the sequel.

So in short, I hated the actual premise of the novel (aka why Nikki went to the Everneath), but thought the retelling was intriguing. The plot, however, was extremely compelling and that ending was really addicting.

So why 3.5 out of 5 stars? The initial premise knocked it down to a 2, the ending knocked it up to a 4, and the last 10% of the novel was a 5. On the whole I'd say the novel was somewhere between a 3 and a 3.5. I'm super excited to read the sequel, so I'll bump it up to a 3.5

In Summary: A compelling novel that offered an intriguing take on a myth that I love reading about. I had some issues with the initial premise, but overall the novel was quite good.

The Wrap-up: I'd recommend it. It truly was quite good. Just get past the reason why Nikki went to the Everneath and then it's a really intriguing read. I'm really hoping the next book is like the last 10% of this novel. It's bound to be interesting to see the least. I'm curious to see who wins out too--Cole or Jack.

Love,

Danica Page

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.