Jenn's Reviews > Kiss of Snow

F 50x66
Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in January, 2012

This post feels well timed since I just dared you all to read Slave to Sensation a couple weeks ago. Judging by the comments, a lot of you have already tried out the Nalini Singh’s Psy/Changeling series. And if you love it as much as I do, this is the book you’ve been waiting for. Hawke and Sienna’s relationship has been on the slow boil since the characters met and it’s been a lot of fun watching the tension between them build. Fans have been clamouring for their story and, thankfully, Nalini has finally put Hawke and Sienna centre stage, and Kiss of Snow is absolutely thrilling.

Hawke has been one of my favourite characters in the Psy-Changeling world for quite some time. He’s got all of the usual alpha male characteristics, plus a sad history in the shape of a mate who died before they could bond. Like Lucas, he’s been in change of his pack for quite some time and he wears the mantle of authority well. Except with Sienna. Now eighteen and a soldier for the SnowDancer pack, Sienna is testing Hawke’s restraint and the limits of both of their control, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. And for Sienna, control is important since she has an extremely dangerous talent. Her talent’s been teased a lot in previous books as being particularly lethal but now we finally get to see just how immense and powerful she is. I was surprised to find out what her X designation meant and how her power manifests. After so many books, I was worried it would be anticlimactic but Nalini Singh didn’t disappoint. In fact, this book exceeded my expectations in every way. The romantic storyline is passionate, layered, and fraught with tension. Despite the age difference between Hawke and Sienna and their differences in experience, they’re a strong match and it shows in their every interaction.

There’s also a nice secondary love story with Walker and Lara, another relationship established in previous novels. There may not have been as much fan fervour about this one but it’s a story I was quite excited to read. They’re both quiet characters compared to some of the folks who have been featured in other Psy/Changeling novels but I’ve always enjoyed them.

As if that wasn’t enough, there’s another payoff for long-time readers, as the war between the Psy and the Changelings escalates. An ongoing event in the series, Kiss of Snow features the biggest confrontation yet and it’s quite exciting. Not all authors are capable of captivating readers the way Nalini Singh has with these books and I can’t wait to see what happens next, in Tangle of Need. Unfortunately, I’ll have to wait a while since the hardcover isn’t due out May 2012 and I’m a paperback girl for this series. Sad panda face. But at least it gives me something to look forward to, and I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Snow.