Maggie's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: children-ya, fiction, library-copy, recommended-by-a-friend
Read in December, 2011

It's an indicator of how much I enjoyed this book that I went out and bought my own copy the minute I finished reading it. What a delight.

Erin Morgenstern presents us with an incredibly inventive book, which unfolds from three time periods -- the reader's present, the past of Marco and Celia beginning in 1873 going forward chapter by chapter to Bailey's time, and Bailey's time in 1902. Marco and Celia are the pawns of Alexander and Hector, who force the children into a competition they neither understand nor can withdraw from. To stage the competition, a wonderful and wondrous circus is created, which is staged by and peopled by fascinating and wonderful characters and where magic appears before the readers' eyes.

Don't try to resist the allure of this incredible circus. Chocolate mice with licorice tails, carmel popcorn, hot chocolate with cinnemon, and a hundred amazing performers and tents await. Recommended.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Antof9 I'll be interested to read your review! I've read quite a few here since my book club read this book, and ... they are widely diverse :)

Maggie 38 pages in. So far it's very good and very inventive. However, I really, really dislike one of the characters -- what a snake!

Antof9 hmmm ... yes. I know the snake of which you speak!