Cathy's Reviews > The Leftovers

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

Nov 19, 11

This book takes on some weighty issues but leavened with comic twists. The author plays with issues I've dealing with as I get older; my life is increasingly influenced by absences, by who and what I have lost. I remember the people who have disappeared from my life or roads not taken. Yet I also mistrust my memories of events; what was real and what were simply stories that I told myself? These are my 2 am musings.

The novel also explores how people deal with losses and what things do they tell themselves to get through it. It has has funny little twists, like mandatory smoking for cult members who have a fatalistic view of the world. It was entertaining and thoughtful and I wouldn't be surprised to see it made into a movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leftovers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Great review Cathy. I realized the depth of the subject after I finished and reflected. I could see where people who read it as a simple novel would be unimpressed. For me, the thought provoked by the underlying meaning helped me rate it up a star.

Meran well, it works very well as a tv show, better than the book, I think! I hope you're watching it.

Cathy I will - thanks for the suggestion. I read mixed reviews of the TV show, I'll give it a shot.

Meran It's different, deeper in spots. And the mayor is now the Police Chief, which really makes a lot of sense.

The GR aren't as clear as they are in the book, which lends another layer of mystery. (I'm glad I read the book, during the watching. Otherwise, I wouldn't know about the GR.)