Paula's Reviews > The Seventy Prepositions

Nov 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: poetry
Read from November 19 to 27, 2011

I was underwhelmed by this collection. Considering that I've very much appreciated other books by Carol Snow, such as Artist & Model and For, I was surprised by this. One criticism: strange coming from me, since I too include citations, footnotes, end notes etc. in my poetry, I felt inundated in citation here: epigraphs, footnotes, acknowledgements, end notes. Perhaps because the poems themselves are often very short, making for more citation than poem in some cases. That's an interesting "statement," but left me feeling a bit absent to it all. Some nice lines, of course, here and there, such as "I'd like to introduce my dissociate." from "Vocabulary Sentence(s)," the entirety of "Poem": "Not thought, exactly: a refrain/ of thought," & the entirety of "Koi": "(I)// was doing my best to see them,/ what with the reflection." A great new word too, from "Gallery": "violinisting." In fact, Snow is at her best here when she taps into that other aspect of her life: music: "I tried to/ listen in triplets or randomness--tick, tock--the/ lyric, based on a pendulum." ("Coined")

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seventy Prepositions.