Patricia Burroughs's Reviews > Guardian of the Balance

Guardian of the Balance by Irene Radford

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: british-isles, fantasy, historical
Read from November 19 to December 14, 2011 — I own a copy

Irene Radford's master-work series Merlin's Descendants starts with the premise that Merlin had a daughter.

A simple idea that takes root in the opening passages of Guardian of the Balance, the single time when Merlin breaks his vows of celibacy.

The book follows Wren through the political, magical and religious intricacies of an age when the great shift between the old ways and new was happening amidst passion, blood and betrayal. It's a book steeped in legend and mythology, exceedingly well-researched, yet striking off into new territory, taking the threads of Arthurian history as recorded and knotting them into new directions.

I was thoroughly captivated by this epic fantasy and its strong love story/subplot. I recommend it.

Available in paperback at Amazon and the usual suspects, or ebook, [.epub or .mobi] through Book View Cafe, with the other books in the series to follow one per month until complete.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Balance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat I started this book and don't remember ever finishing it. In any case, I did not continue the series.