Bludhaven's Reviews > PineLight

PineLight by Jillian Peery

Nov 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, female-writers, goodread-giveaways-first-reads, fantasy
Read from November 19 to 20, 2011

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. It was certainly entertaining enough to be read in one go without making me lose interest, but in the end it wasn't very memorable.

It is a nice story for people who are looking for a light, entertaining fantasy adventure with a little romance thrown in, to pass a few hours.

At times it read like a fast paced adventure, with some nicely done horror moments. Sadly the pace also makes a lot of the plot seem rushed. There is a lot going on that would have needed more explanataion, more exposition, more built up and nearly all of the characters would have needed more development. A story of this scale is hard to pool off in around 200pages.
I was halfway through when I furrowed my brow and was beginning to ask myself what the hell I was reading, because the story changed and changed again. The plot is all over the place, in part because the heroine has amnesia and has no idea what's going on either - on top of that there are different layers to the story: dreams/memories, teenage school life and another fairytale like world and mixed metaphors. The biblical/religous stuff didn't really work for me and some of the more fantasy/fairytale/mythological tropes didn't mix well with that in my opinion. Less tropes and more development would have worked better for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read PineLight.