Shannon's Reviews > After Tupac and D Foster

After Tupac and D Foster by Jacqueline Woodson

Nov 19, 11

Read in November, 2011

While the book was a good story about friendship I would be hard pressed to say it deals with anything other than friendship. And rightly so, as it never professes to being a book about anything other than friendship.

Both girls come from wonderful homes with caring and loving people around them. Even D's mom cares about her. I've read some of the reviews for this book that toss out words like "deep" and "issue driven" and I just didn't see that...it was about three girls and the friendship they share for a few summers.

The author did throw in issues but did it in a vaporous sort of way so that the issues themselves all but disappear leaving the friendship as the focal point. Like Neeka's gay brother that is in prison unjustly, and throwaway kids in the system. Some people feel that the sparseness of the issues is what makes it work and for this book, I agree...If too much attention was placed on those issue the story of the friendship would fall out of focus. And the friendship is what this story is all about...that, and how an "all too brief connection can touch us to the core and remain a part of us forever."

I only had one real issue with the story and that was on page 93...as the narrator is traveling on a bus she looks out the window at a farm and says "I'd learned in school that the high dome-looking things were called silos." In a book that spends so much time presenting our narrator as a highly intelligent, book loving girl I felt like the makeup of that sentence dumbed her down. I almost felt like I was supposed to give her a pat on the back for knowing what they were called and that took away from her supposed intelligence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Tupac and D Foster.