Sheila's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Feb 04, 13

bookshelves: books-about-books, read-in-2013, favorites
Read from January 02 to February 04, 2013

This book is 100% my genre--a mystery novel about books, with lots of gothic indulgences and twists and turns. One of the themes here (like in many Spanish novels) is the Spanish civil war, and the violence and suffering (and changes in society) that went along with it.

Sometimes books in translation are a bit dry, but this one kept its sense of whimsy and charm (so good job, translator).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

01/02/2013 page 25
01/04/2013 page 81
16.0% "This isn't something I usually think about, but... the translator did an excellent job with this book!"
01/23/2013 page 291
59.0% "This book prompted me to google sugus candy: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LzMV3Ym7Vkc..."
show 19 hidden updates…

Trish It's an amazing book. I don't know why but I just wasn't as into it upon reread last year, but I remember being amazed the first time around. I need to read the sequels.

Sheila I have Angel's Game to read next, but I hear the third one is almost universally disliked. I probably won't be able to resist trying it though!

Trish Yeah, the reviews for even Angel's Game aren't on par with the reviews for Shadow of the Wind. I'll have to see how you like that one!