Greta's Reviews > Poser: A Memoir in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses

Nov 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: biography
Read in October, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 2

Part memoir, part how-to guide to yoga, part Zeitgeist meditation on growing up in the '70s, feminism, mommydom and turn-of-the-21st-century parenting, this book covers a lot of territory with reflections on and analogies to various yoga poses. As a woman of the same era, having grown up in the Pacific Northwest and practiced yoga as a counter balance to the balancing act of mothering, I could relate to the author's musings. At times she put into words some of the thoughts and experiences I had but didn't realize at the time. What I really liked about this book was what I learned about yoga, which was surprisingly much, even though I've been practicing it for 15 years. Nobody really ever explained it that well to me. What I didn't like about this book was that despite the author's ability to describe things elegantly and skillfully, there were times when she overdid it with the similies and metaphors to the point that it appeared to be painfully obvious she was trying to describe something elegantly or skillfully, but it just didn't work. If she had avoided doing this, I might have given the book four stars. Instead, three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poser.

message 1: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella CR reviewed this book too. Did you know that?http://www.citizenreader.com/citizen/.... She said she skipped the yoga bits but could relate to the parenting parts.

Greta No, I haven't been following CR since last summer, I think. Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading her review. I can't quite pinpoint how I came across this book but I went to the library to get it when I discovered they had it there. Funny thing is, if I had read CR's review first, I most likely wouldn't have read the book.

message 3: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella Yeah, that is the problem with reviews and recommendations. You always have to take them with a grain of salt and not feel bad when someone doesn't love a book as much as you do or vice versa.

Greta But how do you know before you've actually read it if you'd like it or not when you hear someone else's opinion first?

message 5: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella You don't. That is where the grain of salt comes in. Or, if you are lucky, you find someone who's tastes mirror your own :)

Greta Ach so. I just haven't found anybody whose taste in fiction mirrors my own. Although sometimes you're spot on! Actually, I don't think I have any taste in fiction. :-)