Kim's Reviews > A Touch Mortal

A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, angels
Read from February 01 to 05, 2012

I started 'A Touch Mortal' knowing almost nothing about it except that bloggers I follower adored the book. I seem to be developing a habit of this. I feel that sometimes it's good to have no prior knowledge of a book, it means you're super surprised when events are thrown your way, like I was in 'A Touch Mortal'.

Eden is a mysterious main character. A pathless human, made immortal by death. You're probably thinking 'vampire' or 'zombie' if she's 'made' immortal; but no, nothing so known. Eden is a Sider (suicide victim), made that way because of her pathless life; having no future in the human world. But being a Sider isn't all about immortality. Siders are full of Touch, a strange power that's described as being like a virus that must be passed onto humans and can affect their emotions. Add to this the fact that angels, some of which travel to Earth frequently, seem clueless about the Siders' existence and you have yourself an amazing plot.

The mystery of the Siders still has me stumped, and I'm dying to work out what their purpose is, especially with the way Eden's special gifts seem even more unknown than normal; it puts an extra spanner in the words. I'm also still not completely sure what Touch is made of, or at least why the Siders accumulate so much of it. Is it because of their lack of path as humans, that they're compelled to leave a part of themselves on someone else? Maybe I missed something while reading, but I hope to get more answers in the future because I'm really interested to know more about Touch.

'A Touch Mortal' really focuses on the Siders and introducing us to the possibility that there's more to them than in known. But what I was really curious about were the Angels. Three types: the Bound, angels who cannot lie, the type you'd expect to find wearing glowing halos; the Fallen, those who have sinned and given into darkness; and then you have the winged angels, ones that have been kicked out of Heaven and are stuck between world, forced to make a choice, to use their wings to fly home and admit their sins or to fall. There wasn't nearly enough angel action for my liking. I wanted to know more about each world and the people who are a part of them. I hope we see more in the next book.

The book has a confusing beginning. So many terms are being introduced at once and little is being explained. You have to learn about the Angels, Siders and Touch as you read and even then you're still left with questions. There is a lot of learning to be done. I think Leah took a risk with the confusing plot, because there's a chance for readers to be frustrated by only getting bits and pieces of the puzzle. I found that the lack of explanation made it impossible not to want to know more. I know being left in the dark can sometimes be unsettling, like you're lost without a guide; but trust me, the confusing aspects start to become the norm and it's easy to be caught up in the moment when you get past this lost feeling. I was so curious to see how everything fell into place that I had to keep reading.

I was a little sad about all the time we seem to miss. We're thrown into the relationship of the story almost on the first page. Az and Eden meet and then we skip two weeks into the future, not really getting the chance to see their feelings and connection develop. One minute they're meeting and the next they're in love. I wanted to see more of their time together. It's not the only time jump we come across. We miss a lot of Eden learning to be a Sider and discovering what makes her so special. It's a bit rushed. The book covers a really large time period in terms of what would normally happen in books. Instead of being a few major events over the course of a week, 'A Touch Mortal' occurs over a few months, so I understand that not every day can be included in the mix, because that'd make the story a bit boring, but I would have liked to see a bit more of what happened in between, including more scenes with Az, Gabe and Kristen. But despite this I still found the story super exciting.

Dying to find out what happens next, especially with the way it ended.

4/5 stars
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Touch Mortal.

02/01/2012 page 31
7.0% "Wow...everything's moving so fast. Not sure what to think of that yet."
02/01/2012 page 58
14.0% "I can honestly say I didn't think that was going to happen." 2 comments
02/02/2012 page 124
30.0% "I'm getting a little confused. Hope things are explained a bit more soon."
02/02/2012 page 185
44.0% "How could she be more different than she already is? *curious*"
02/02/2012 page 220
53.0% "I sense things are about to get worse than they already are."
02/03/2012 page 259
62.0% ""Luckily for the Bound, Upstairs is on a 'pics or it didn't happen' kind of system." -- This line made me giggle heaps."
02/04/2012 page 318
76.0% "Az cooking breakfast was a disaster. Glad he only tried twice because I'm not sure the kitchen would have survived a third try."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Hah I started reading that last night. :P

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Awesome! We can discuss together. Are you liking it so far?

I was going to reread something after finishing CV#6, but decided if I just wait until tonight to start this, that'll be enough of a break.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Chapter 3 is a little weird because the characters are discussing something without any explanations of what exactly is going on. That's as far as I got though but it doesn't suck or anything. Withholding judgment until I've read more.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim LOL! I love that! "...but it doesn't suck or anything." It's just because you're still on a TFioS high :P

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Haha yeah still all about TFIOS. No guy will ever compare to that of Augustus Waters. I'm not really impressed with any of the guys in ATM yet. Hopefully none of this book sucks though.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I hope none of it sucks too.