Jennifer Ellision's Reviews > Sisters of Glass

Sisters of Glass by Stephanie Hemphill

Nov 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, ya, young-adult, historical-fiction, verse, read-in-2012, reviewed
Read from February 07 to 08, 2012

Posted to Almost Grown-up:

I didn’t realize at first that Sisters of Glass was a novel written in verse. Some might find this a point against its favor, but for me, it was a point for it. I’ve never been a fan of poetry– I respect it as an art form, of course, but my tastes don’t tend toward it in reading or writing. Instead, I thought it read as smooth, but simplistic prose.

I was taken in by Luca and his attitude toward Maria. He didn’t treat her as delicately as the rest of the family and considering how trapped she feels, I don’t blame her for falling for him.

It’s certainly an easy and quick read, and I felt swept along by the prettiness of it all. Venice, glassblowing, art, lovely singing… it’s easy to fall into if you’re a romantic as I am.

My largest problems with the novel were that I felt Maria’s sister Giovanna or “Vanna” to have the wildest behavioral shifts. She went from loving to sneering and back to loving without any explanation. I didn’t feel like I could trust her when she was suddenly nice again.

My other major problem was that everything at the end was tied up very conveniently and with very little fuss. It felt totally unrealistic and I didn’t buy it. No one’s feelings got hurt and it was just… too easy.

Overall rating: 3/5. A quick read and well-suited for someone looking to dip their toe into the pool of verse novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters of Glass.