Adriane Devries's Reviews > When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling

When You Rise Up by R.C. Sproul Jr.

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: teaching, spirituality
Read from November 18, 2011 to January 23, 2012

When I first began to homeschool our children, it was purely out of selfish goals: we love learning and having fun together all day long; we enjoy the freedom to study what we want, when we want, in whatever clothing we want, and in whatever comfy chairs we want; our kids will likely test well for college prep for reasons such as interest-driven learning and the low teacher-to-student ratio. However, increasingly I am realizing these reasons for homeschooling should not be even on my radar, if I am to call myself a Jesus-follower. If we are to obey Biblical instruction on child-rearing, we should teach our children for no other reason than that the Lord commands it. The rest is bonus. Deuteronomy 6 is one of many passages that make it clear who should teach “these things” to the children; and what are “these things?” The ways of the Lord. Yes, it’s nice if our kids know a metamorphic rock from a sedimentary one. But what if they know every element on the periodic table and don’t know how to “act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with the Lord?” Just as my children are learning each day to follow God, partly through a morning devotion time, but mostly through the conversations we have about life, the universe and everything; I, too, am learning to grow closer to my God by listening to instruction from His word and from the godly counsel of other believers such as R.C Sproul, Jr. Though I don’t agree with everything he espouses in this book (such as his girls-ought-to-sew-dresses-and-bake-bread-mentality…not everyone will have the same giftedness), I think largely he is on the right track in his Biblical focus and in his exhortation to take the “school” out of homeschool and make it more about the life-giving conversations we are having with our children. In a culture that values high scores and college preparedness above all other gods, even among the Christian homeschool subset, the Biblical mandate to homeschool needs more vocal proponents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Rise Up.