Michael's Reviews > Confessor

M_50x66
Jun 14, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction
Read in June, 2008

I'm glad this series is finally done. The first five books were truly great works of fantasy, but midway through the series, a transformation happened. Goodkind abandoned any subtlety he once had, abandoned any willingness to let the reader think about the lessons to be gained from his stories, and instead bashed the reader over the head with a stream of Ayn Rand objectivist diatribe. Continuously. I resolved to stick this series out, based on how good the first half was and based on a desire to see it end (in contrast to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, a series of similar length that I had abandoned before picking up Goodkind's books). Plus, there were times when his later books approached the grand storytelling of the later ones.

Goodkind's total rejection of all competing ideologies is among the most narrowminded writing I've seen. And, I don't think he even succeeds in making the case for objectivism, as it is only in the context of a world-threatening evil empire, devoid of any redeeming qualities, that his point can be made. Even the Communists (philosophically, they seem a partial inspiration for this foe) were not that bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rsreplogle (new)

Rsreplogle I actually read these in high school. You're right, the quality of writing declined precipitously book after book - I think I stopped at Faith of the Fallen. Very addicting though.

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe P Chainfire is the only worthwhile of the books after Soul of the Fire. The rest are, as you said,excuses to force feed his readers his right-wing Ayn Rand nonsense.I agree Goodkind at some point in the writing of the series made the decision that it was far more important to push objecticivism than it was to tell a good story. I feel it all went into the conservative crapper with Faith of the Fallen and never pulled out accept for Chainfire.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe P I also have come to realize Goodkind has actually ripped off Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time in some blatant ways.I love the first 4 books still. But I have come to like the TV version of the series more than the version presented in the last 6 books.

The UHQ Nasanta Interesting. I had the opposite response: stuck with The Wheel of Time and abandoned Goodkind after The Pillars of Creation. I am interested in picking it up again, though, since I did enjoy the first several books. I hope I can stick with it as you and others have.