Mohammed Al-Garawi's Reviews > Anna Karenina

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Dec 28, 11

Read from December 23, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Nothing repulses me in a story/book/movie like unfaithfulness between spouses. Let alone making that the main premise of the book. I loved some of Tolstoy's takes on life, religion, politics and philosophy, but the plot, not so much.

I didn't like the characters, they were extremely repulsive, and the only likable character isn't that bright.

The whole thing just didn't work for me. It's like Pride and Prejudice, but with no manners. You see what I did there?

P.S.I read this book and "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" in parallel, and I have the same problems with both, however, the other one differs from this one in some aspects that I'll talk about in elaboration when I review it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Karenina.

12/26/2011 page 157
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Noura (new) - added it

Noura Abdullah I attempted to read this book over 6 times. I can't seem to get past page 30. Every. Single. Time.

Mohammed Al-Garawi Wow!
Why?
My mom and sister recommended it to me, it's not good? At least give it a chance.

message 3: by Noura (new) - added it

Noura Abdullah Oh, no! I do not doubt how good this book is. It's a classic; no avid reader can call themselves a reader if they haven't slaved through Tolstoy's masterpiece. I just need the focus.

message 4: by Anfal (new)

Anfal Omar قرأته بترجمة مين؟ وهل الترجمة الإنكليزية جيّدة؟