Debbie (at) I Heart YA Books's Reviews > Sisters of Glass

Sisters of Glass by Stephanie Hemphill

Sisters of Glass is a Historical Fiction that is written in verse. This was a different kind of read for me, but it was definitely a wonderful surprise and a very cute love story about two sisters. The two sister's story is told through Maria, who is the younger daughter. It's the year 1291 on the island of Murano where all glassmakers have been sent to live by the order of Venetian government. Maria and her older sister, Giovanna (Vanna), live in a time where fathers choose who their daughters marry, and who their daughters love isn't taken into account. But before Marie's father dies, he breaks tradition and gives Marie the oldest daughters right's to be the first one to marry, and to marry a Nobleman. Both sisters are not happy with their dying father’s decision to change their rights, and when Marie falls in love with Luca, who has been given a partnership in the family's glassmaking business, her relationship with her sister becomes strained. Giovanna is the one who is supposed to marry Luca, but she's in love with the nobleman Andrea who is betrothed to Maria. This is where the fun begins with these two sisters, because Marie's betrothed is in love with Giovanna. And Luca, who is Giovanna's betrothed, is in love with Marie.

This novel, like I said, was a different kind of read for me, but I fell in love with Stephanie Hemphill’s beautiful writing and the verse style. I also fell in love with these two sisters and their right to choose the person who they wanted to marry and the right to marry for love and happiness.

Sisters of Glass is 272 pages, but with it written in verses, it’s a fast read, but don't let that fool you. It’s a strong and in-depth story with humor, drama, jealousies and romance, and a beautiful storyline with Marie and Giovanna’s happily ever after. I recommend Sisters of Glass as a beautiful, cute read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters of Glass.