Julie Levenhagen's Reviews > Single in the City

Single in the City by Michele Gorman

Nov 24, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in November, 2011

I was fortunate enough to have been gifted a Kindle copy of this book by the author after failing to win a copy in the Goodreads giveaway. I found it to be a promising if uneven novel.

I loved the premise of the plot, and from the opening sentence it's clear that Ms Gorman is a talented writer. I loved how well-researched the aspects of British life were and I felt immersed in the culture. I can't wait to read about Hannah's adventures in Hong Kong!
A few other things I loved- the laugh-out-loud moment with the tissue paper (I giggled quite a bit at that), Hannah's foray into blackmail, and Hannah herself- her fashion sense and awkward, quirky ways.

On that note, while I liked Hannah's relatability, I found her a little too introspective- to the point of distraction. I knew that Mark wouldn't work out (he seemed too good to be true from the start), but I didn't expect him to be so sleazy- I was disappointed that he didn't get more of a comeuppance. I called Sam as "the one" early on and think that maybe the sheer number of suitors introduced (and the time spent on those relationships) could've been shorter and well spent building more of a relationship with Sam. Overall, there was a lot of potential but felt like things could've been developed a bit more- the situation at work, her relationship with her roommates, new friends, and Sam, even her parent's visit.

The author's note at the end states that there will be a sequel about Hannah's adventures in Hong Kong, which I am really looking forward to!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Single in the City.