Chana's Reviews > Red Azalea

Red Azalea by Anchee Min

This is not a favorite of mine although I think it is an important addition to literature about the Cultural Revolution in China. I did not enjoy reading it (too intense, too sexual, too mysterious) although I was affected by it. It is a memoir of a young woman growing up in Communist China. She is sent to a collective farm to work when she is 17 years old. Some of her memories seem very real but not all of them. I wonder how much of that unreality, that "reads like a novel" quality has something to do with the stylized way of Chinese writing. It has a formality and poetry to it that makes it feel untrue in some aspects. It feels like her life, a difficult one to be sure, is dressed up for this book. The whole story about the "supervisor" was completely mysterious to me, I had no idea what the author was talking about, the "supervisor" talked in circles and no resolution as to his identity was ever understood, at least by me. She does succeed in getting across quite clearly what a sad time in history this was for China.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Azalea.